Peter

That's an interesting idea - checking to see contemporary pronunciations of loan words. I find the French words most fascinating, but I also find irritating inconsistencies in English (UK) use of other 'foreign' words too. Also, some US English usages that rub me up the wrong way. This, while not a comprehensive compendium, lists some of the words whose pronunciation gets my goat.

Ibiza - The Spanish holiday resort. My contention is that, since it is a relatively new term to English, we shouldn't be anglicising it, and it should be pronounced (approximately) ee BEE tha. Yet, half the English holiday-makers I know of pronounce it in the bastard fashion eye BEE tha. I feel that if you must 'anglicise' the first syllable, then go the whole hog - eye BEE za. But no, we stick to our English half-and-half that makes me want to go @&^%^$%£"$$%%^&^&*.

Fillet - It's from the old French (Norman) and was anglicised a long time ago. It should be pronounced FIL it. But no. In our typically half-and-half way, so many of us say fil ay. If we were really attempting a French pronunciation then surely we should accord the 'll' a French form as well?

Valet - Same considerations as fillet. Should be pronounced val it.

Niche - Has been 'nitch' for ages. Except the 'new' anglophones have started to pronounce it 'neesh'.

Penchant - Long established as PEN chunt, but bless 'em, the PC but illiterate (is my ire showing?) have decided to pronounce it paw[n] shaw[n].

Quay - not a UK issue, but in Florida (Tampa Bay area?) it's pronounced kway. Aaargh.

Ah well... Rant over.

Are there any others that particularly incense you?

cheer

the sunshine warrior

ps. My rough rule of thumb is that if a loan word is more than a hundred or so years old, then it 'should' be anglicised. If newer, then we should attempt to replicate the pronunciation of the original language. Do you have any 'rules' for this kind of thing?