Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
The word "unconscious" seems to be used more frequently in the stead of "subconscious" which really bugs me. I hear it used this way by public speakers, such as politicians and news reporters. To me unconscious means comatose and subconscious means daydreaming. So it bothers me when someone says, "they were thinking unconsciously" about something. It doesn't seem that you could recall what you were thinking about when you were comatose. Am I crazy? Now that unconscious is being used this way popularly, does that mean that we should accept a new meaning?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
when I was first introduced to Psychology as a discipline (ha!), the subconscious mind was often spoken of. but this term was dropped soon thereafter in favor of unconscious due, I gather, to the ambiguity of the former term.

Faldo may well have something to say about this.

-joe (ambiguity is our fremd) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldo may have to say something better, but the whole misinterpreation in this usage I think is : you can do things unconsciously but you cannot think unconsciously.
You can make gestures unconsciously, hum a tune unconsciously
(you cannot really hum a tune subconsciously).
Unconciously means, not being aware, doesn't it? It doesn 't mean you are comatuous.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I still use the two words appropriately.

I think.

formerly known as etaoin...
old hand
old hand
I don't think you can think subconsciously or unconsciously,if the definition of thinking involves higher cognitive functioning where we are aware of what we are thinking.

Sub- means below the level of, and un- mean not. Subconscious actions or functions are those that you are not aware of, or not fully aware of, such as your emotional reaction to someone's body language that leaves you with an uneasy feeling about them, or your observing of things that you see, hear, smell, touch or taste that are incidental to the main thing you are consciously focussing on and your brain stores away somewhere but without your higher recognition of it.

Interesting tests are done with people with split hemispheres or ordinary people looking at two different scenes with each eye that show that the brain can register and respond to things apart from our knowing about it. That is subconscious. But 'unconscious' or 'not conscious' can sometimes be used in this way too. As in "he was not conscious of the effects of his behaviour..." or "she was unconsciously conveying a sense of superiority over her workmates..."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think The Pook has it pretty well down.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Which is basically more elaborately what I said too, but don't ask for credits and you'll never have debts.

old hand
old hand
Here's how I've always used them:

unconscious: The brain's state when a person is not awake.
subconscious: The part of the brain an awake person does not actively engage, but which can influence, or even take over, conscious thought and action. It's a bit like instinct.

I admit I usually use unconscious as an adjective, and subconscious as a noun. :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
I admit I usually use unconscious as an adjective, and subconscious as a noun. :0)

subconsciously, I do, too.

formerly known as etaoin...
old hand
old hand
And apparently consciously, also! ;0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,430
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 815 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,598
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith