Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
arutai Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Fellow Linguaphiles,

I have another word challenge for you to start off the new year.

I am writing a novel featuring two opposing cultures. Conflict between the two sides runs generations deep. Eventually the differing cultures find that they must work together for a common cause. So an uneasy truce is established.

Now in order for the two cultures to work cohesively, representatives of both sides must be able to walk freely amongst people who were recently considered "the Enemy". The problem is that no amount of assurances or oaths will erase the history or cleanse the bad blood between the two cultures. Think a Nazi in full uniform trying to walk the streets of Israel.

So a titled position is established to help allay the fears of the populi. Representatives of both sides are paired together as an emissary team. Each representative is a mirror image in rank and reputation of the other. The companions are sworn to defend his/her charge to the death. It is also an unwritten rule that each companion serves to ensure/enforce the good will of the other. Neither one is to be seen without the other.

After a number of years, these pairings become almost invisible to the group subconscious. If one is seen, he/she is seen as a threat. If two are seen, they cancel one another out and the one is no longer perceived as a threat.

My word challenge is to find a word that sums up the title.

Please remember that each member of the pairing is considered an equal in the eyes of both governments. "Keeper" would be a pejorative name for a person in this position.

I appreciate everyone's time and look forward to your suggestions.

Matthew Johnson
Portland, OR

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Though the definition is not exactly on point, referring to a person who is an assistant or helper, coadjutant might well get the point across since you can define the title any way you like.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What I'd like to know is: what percentage of your royalties do we get?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't have a suggestion for you but I do wish to express my delight that a Portlandian has signed onto the Board. The Left Coast is a bit light in its representation hereabouts and another fellow Pacificist is always welcome.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ambassadors? Emissaries? Peacekeepers?

Hmm--I took emissaries to a thesaurus (M-W On-line), was referred to ambassador, and found this; perhaps one will strike a chord with you:
Entry Word: ambassador
Function: noun

Text: a person sent on a mission to represent another <a beloved entertainer who has often been sent abroad by the president as his country's goodwill ambassador>

Synonyms delegate, emissary, envoy, minister, legate, representative

Related Words agent, attaché, consul, deputy, diplomat, foreign minister, nuncio, procurator, proxy; apostle, evangelist, missionary; deputation, detachment, legation; courier, messenger; mouthpiece, spokesperson

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well they always work together.. so co is an natural start.

and people often slur or nick name those in authority.. (so police officers become cops or bobby's, (or even peelers)

did you think about giving them a fancy long name (ie:the co ordinated autherized command)--which than gets contracted,and in common use they get called the Cordoroys?

E
addict
addict
E
"attache" (with the accent aigu) is particularly appropriate here, as your characters are "attached" to each other.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Take a trip in the sept/septon thread. If you're inventing a whole society you can make up about any word you want. Don't expect to find a word in existence for a concept that doesn't exist.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Well, procurator turns up in Jackie's list and I agree with ot's point about 'co', following TEd's lead. How about taking the old title of Proctor to give you Coproctors? The fact that could be shortened to Cops may be coincidental… :]

1. Rom. Hist. = procurator 1. Obs.
2. A person employed to manage the affairs of another; an agent, deputy, proxy, attorney: = procurator 2. Obs. or arch. exc. in technical use.
†b. A steward: = procurator 2b. Obs.
c. An agent for the collection of tithes and other church dues; a tithe-farmer. In full tithe-proctor.

OED2

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
A fascinating concept that it would create a fundamental shift in societal assumptions such that an individual would be seen as more dangerous than a pair. I look forward to reading the finished novel.

"her Alt" or just "his Other". Co-minder as an official version? Government Paired Truce Guarantor becoming "my Geep" (soft g) There are lot's of possibilities but I agree with Troy, for gereral usage you would need a slang version as well as the official one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,421
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 1,023 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,592
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith