Well Shipmates - it took a few weeks, but finally heard back from the USN on the alleged drinking habits aboard the USS Constitution:

"You are in fact having you leg pulled. This story is perhaps the most frequently spread untruth about the CONSTITUTION and certainly the one I am asked to respond to most often. It makes a great story - emphasizing the ability of our sailors to consume alchohol - but is not only improbable, but impossible.

*While it is true that CONSTITUTION cruised the West Indies during this time frame, it was to protect US shipping from FRENCH privateers, not the British.

*CONSTITUTION was moored in Boston Massachusetts from 10 November through 28 December 1798, which negates the trip overseas.

*Of the vessels engaged with CONSTITUTION during 1799, none of them were British, all were French.

*CONSTITUTION was in port at Prince Rupert's Bay, Dominica between 24 January through 01 February 1799.

One should also note, that the consumption of alchohol on board ship was carefully measured and monitored. Sailors were regulated to rations of rum a day, equaling about a pint total. The rum was guarded by marines and doled
out my the ship's Master at Arms.

I hope that this information is what you were looking for.

Respectfully,

SN Tamara Morris, USS CONSTITUTION

So now we know. Apologies to those (any?) that took it as kosher, there did seem to be a question over the whole thing from the outset.

stales