[a. F. morosophe (Rabelais), ad. Gr. - foolishly wise, f. - foolish +
wise.]

a. In Rabelais: A ‘wise fool’, jester. (Cf. FOOL-SAGE.) Obs. b. One who is ‘foolishly wise’; a foolish pedant or would-be philosopher.

a1693 Urquhart's Rabelais III. xlvii. 377 Our unique Morosoph,..the Lunatick Triboulet. 1751 CAMBRIDGE Scribl. I. 367, I mark'd where'er the Morosoph appear'd..How Young and Old, Virgins and Matrons kiss'd The footsteps of the blest Gymnosophist. 1818 T. MOORE Fudge Fam. Paris ii. 41 The praises and the trophies Thou gain'st from Morosophs and Sophis. 1835 Fraser's Mag. XI. 369 Those who follow the sect of that illustrious morosoph.

So morosophist rare., in the same sense; morosophy, foolish pretence of wisdom.

1594 Mirr. Policy (1599) 139 As I haue more largely shewed in my Morosophie in these verses. 1610 Histriomastix II. 56 That..I may..leave this Idle contemplation To rugged Stoicall Morosophists. 1617 COLLINS Def. Bp. Ely II. Contents 6 The Bishops exposition..is defended against the Adioynders intricate Morosophies. 1794 MATHIAS Purs. Lit. (1798) 336 Some Morosophists of the Society. 1870 K. H. DIGBY Halcyon Hours 255 Morosophists who love to boast Are those of course who scorn the most This holy
maid.

not to be confused with sophomore..
(a preview of future wwftd?! 8)