Well, it's now Tuesday 5:30 pm. Storm started Friday. First time I set foot out of the house was Monday 11:00 a.m., when it finally stopped snowing. 26 inches. My wife and I took 4 hours to shovel off the front steps and a path one shovel-width down the sidewalk to my car at the curb, a distance of about 25 feet. I also went 6 feet in either direction sideways (i.e., parallel with the house) so the dog would have a place to do his thing, as the snow was too deep for him to get through (and he's not a small dog). The last 4 hours of the precip consisted of icy rain which soaked into the snow and made it heavy as lead, so shovelling was really frightful for someone as out of shape as I am and with a very bad cold and having already had one heart attack and not intending to have another. I had to stop after about 5 minutes and take 10 minutes to catch my breath and after about a half hour had to rest for an hour. It went that way.
Last night (Monday) it snowed another 2 inches, just to put icing on the cake.
Today the cavalry arrived in the person of my son & daughter in law. While we watched their girls and I went to the supermarket (after they dug my car out) they did as much shovelling as my wife and I would have needed about a week to do. So we're now OK.
I went nowhere Sat. or Sun, not to church (don't imagine many people did). The governor of Md issued a proclamation (on what authority I have no idea) banning nonessential travel on any public roads. No one has anwered the phone at my place of employment yesterday or today.
You may have seen on network TV the collapsed roof of the B&O Railroad Museum. It's a round building built in 1887 surrounding a central cupola. The cupola survived, but the torus which surrounds it collapsed under the weight of the snow. The locomotives under it, some from the earliest days of railroading are said to be imperilled by the water and damaged by the structural parts falling on them. That's a real shame. The B&O is now gone, absorbed into CSX and there's no money for repairs unless the state picks it up. I doubt insurance will cover it.
Speaking of that, the snow on the roof of my house is forming an ice dam and about to tear the gutters and downspouts off as the stuff melts. In fact, nearly every house in the neighborhood has the same problem; saw one with the gutters half off on my way back from the supermarket. That happened about 10 years ago in a bad storm and anyone who might have been standing at our front door when it fell would have been killed. A large gutterfull of ice and slush weighs a ton. That's covered by homeowners insurance. Last time it cost the ins. co. over $3,000.00 not only for new gutters and downspouts and fascia but to replace 15 slates which it ripped off. Back then it cost $25 per slate; it's now up to $50+ per slate to fix a slate roof. Only good thing about slate roofs is they last a long time. Ours is the original roof. House was built in 1925.