Thank you all for your links and insights. I'm a bit late getting back to this, as I have been out of town having a marvelous weekend looking at stars!

When I started the thread, I was motivated my a number of things.

belM, yes to both pleasing myself and pleasing others. Lately as I have been reading here, I have been surprised at myself both when I do and when I don't catch a literary reference. I was curious to know, if presented with a list of recommended books, what percentage I have already read. I also agree with you that an important piece is something with which you can connect deeply. What's the point of reading if you don't enjoy and learn from what you read.

One of my other motivations was simply to decide on something good to read. Left to myself I tend to read lots of the same thing. I read quite a bit of science fiction (I know, not always the most high quality writing available) but I always feel as though I am missing out on something by not diversifying my reading more. The reason I specifically asked about fiction is that I have more than enough non-fiction to read, and while I enjoy the benefit of the knowledge I gain from non-fiction, I don't as often enjoy the act of reading it. tsuwm's statement "Be eclectic" is exactly what I am trying to accomplish.

I was excited to see, what individual books/authors such a group as this would recommend. I was not disappointed. I've known for quite some time that I needed to read more Carroll, and I love that the fish man suggested Seuss, though I don't know why that should have surprised me.

Thanks to all for the wonderful suggestions!