Hmm--think I'll ask Sparteye to have a look here. In my experience, the general public calls all the "legal eagles" lawyers, whereas they tend to refer to themselves as attorneys. I had always thought it was simply a matter of pride, but am not sure after reading kupuna's post (welcome, by the way). (No offense, kup.--Sparteye's the only one I can think of who is a posting U.S. attorney--er, or lawyer. I don't know if you are.)
Attorneys who have ads on TV here always have a disclaimer to the effect that "Kentucky law does not recognize specialties within the practice of law" (funny, to hear that at the end of an ad that says, "If you've been injured in a car wreck, call Dewey Cheatem"), so that furthered my impression that anyone who has a law degree can (theoretically) practice any kind of law.

===========================================================
The call that welcomes guests onto the marae always invites the departed tipuna to come first.
That's really neat, sjm. Thank you for posting that. I think it's important to remember who we came from, for when we forget, we are lost. If they were the right kind of people, then we can try to emulate them. If they were not, or if we don't know, then we can try to live our lives better.