Ah, I have found the word that has been niggling at the back of my mind for the past hour....

English (UK) humour is always referred to as DRY here, as in "he has a dry sense of humour". French people DO NOT get it and can be quite insulted by comments that are meant to be jokes. Having been raised in a fully bilingual household, I understand both English and French humour (maybe that’s why I am always smiling), but the difference runs deep.

Generally (don’t chew my head off, I said generally) English people tend to be more reserved so the humour is harder to spot for French people, who are known for their “joie de vivre” (joy of living) and exuberance. When we say something with a straight face, it’s usually time to sit down and pay attention ‘cause it’s serious.

And NO, French Quebecers are not like the French from France, we do not idolize Jerry Lewis. He is relegated to the same category as the Three Stooges (and what are they about??)

And who said the States are dull...we laugh at you all the time (ooooo, I'm in trouble for that one)