Well, I like your word Torschlusspanik and have witnessed conversations with women experiencing it. I would say that it is applicable, too, to those women who are married and are experiencing difficulty in conceiving.

I myself experienced such panic when married before conceiving Lof'. I could be around mothers with babies and would just have to go off and weep because I was childless and in my near-mid-thirties. I felt terribly hopeless at times. But finally the tables turned. The experience was helpful, however, when I met another young woman who guiltily admitted to me how very jealous she was of women with children. And I was able to let her know I understood exactly how she felt and that I was sure that mental state was common among women who wanted children, but from whom the blessing had been withheld. She, too, became pregnant about a year later, and she quit teaching to raise her child. Very good move when possible. It wasn't, however, for me.

And the word seems applicable to many other situations in which conception or realization of other goals are ones in which one is running against other kinds of biological clocks.

This is the second German word I've learned in which there isn't an English equivalent. Schadenfreude is the other one. Certainly there are others.

There are at least twice as many words in the English lexicon over any other language on earth, yet we remain incomplete.