Why yes modgod, I do, or did. Until about a year ago I played at least three times every week. Yesterday I went to the courts to play with my former tennis partners...nobody showed up. Maybe they forgot. Maybe they are still mad. I don't care, they were always jealous of my greater strength, speed and skill. I am going to find me some new partners, and this time they are going to be men.

ON ART

// ///
NO TRA

A good place to start when explaining Art is to explain what its not. First, Art is not nature. Our eyes, within our lifetime frames a billion billion pictures of this world so you would think that at least one of them, by pure chance, would be Art. Its not. What you see is real and sometimes beautiful, but unless you experience a work of manmade Art you haven't seen Art. Truth and beauty is not Art.

Well then is music Art? No! Especially when accompanied by words that you can understand. Opera has a tough time rising to the status of Art, but many operatic works have great moments of high art. I introduce this example to underline the temporal nature of Art. Two quick analogies...

The first time we heard Beethoven's Fifth we said, "pretty dern good, a bit long, but good". The next time we heard it we comprehended the unity of all parts and we were moved to transcendent heights, far above sex and cracklin' cornbread. Then we played it over and over until it lost its shine.
The Chinese Commies drove men slap crazy by playing Beethoven's Fifth morning, noon, and night for weeks on end.

Some nice people on this board regard Leonardo da VInci's painting Mona Lisa as a (spit) portrait of a sick-looking broad. I don't think so. I just pulled up the Mona Lisa for reviewing and gazed into her eyes trying hard to find the secret of her smile. Then it struck me. Little Willie John was right. The Mona Lisa was a man! An effeminate man but none-the-less a man.

Maybe I'm wrong. But the point is that Art is only Art when viewed, felt, smelled, or otherwise sensed, at the moment of the sub-conscious transfer of a shared secret or joke or insight into the mystery of being alive. And the more you bring to the table the more you will be satisfied with the fare.

But music aside, poems and literature are th