knitting is very old, and knitted socks have been found in ancient eygptian tombs. (and the knitting was very complicated stuff, so obviously it was an old craft then)

in europe(1400- to 1600 or so) , knitting was a guilded craft, and woman were not permitted to knit, only master knitters could knit. they pilgrams had several master knitters as part of their company (since knitting doesn't need a loom, and since it it is easy to "knit to shape" and knitting is stretchy,(so sizing is less of matter) knitted clothes were cheaper (and faster) to make.

In europe, guilds broke up, and in america, men, woman and children were all soon knitting-- (He who does not work, does not eat. was soon a motto in the americas.) because of the pick up/put down nature of the work, it soon became a common woman's task, since it could be more easily interspliced with other tasks, (like riding in wagon when taking goods to market, or while tending children or tasks that need intermittent attention.)
(but this is YART--i know i have post some this info before.. if anyone is interested in "proof" the jesus wore a knitted robe on the day of the crucifixion, or other knitting lore, PM me!)