Being attacked for my signature line has reminded me (as I just PM'd someone) of the time when someone called joepublic came in here and attacked people for using emoticons.

I know not everyone - possibly not anyone - likes signatures. I know, from the joepublic time, that not everyone likes emoticons. I also know that some people like/use either/both.

I thought we didn't need no steenkin' rools, so this is just a public appeal to people not to nitpick and not to attack for stoopid reasons. I could understand it if I had a dodgy political statement in my signature line, stating my position on abortion or capital punishment or something - but I don't.

In fact I've seen some pretty funny/thought-provoking stuff in signature lines on other websites, most notably the Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree site, my fave from which is:

If you can't see the bright side, polish the dull side.

[In fact, I like that one so much....Hm. I'm getting ideas.]

Sure, I found some of the signatures on the LP site kind of annoying - but I learned to ignore them. I've been accused of being "an aspiring intellectual" - gah! - horrible, horrible thought! - and the suggestion has been made that the signature line I use causes people to take me less seriously. Good Lord in Heaven. I don't really aspire to anything - I just chug along, enjoying the world and my place in it, and as long as no one attacks me for spurious reasons, then I'm happy. But apparently my signature line alone brands me as a moron, despite whatever well-modulated, erudite phraseology I use and despite what message that well-modulated, erudite phraseology is attempting to convey.

So be it. I use emoticons, too!

[/plea not to nitpick]

If you can't see the bright side, polish the dull side.