http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/371604.stm this link has some information on Yardies. dxb, I live in Moss Side in Manchester which is often referred to in the press (unfairly) as Crime Side, Gunchester. There are a lot of gangs here and shootings and riots happen often. Two shootings and two riots on my street in the last year, and it's a small street. However, it is also a friendly, vibrant community that, having been invigorated by waves of Irish, Indian, Jamaican and Somalian immigration is a rich and diverse, all year party. In the summer there are barbeques on the street corners and all the furniture from the second hand shops is commandeered by old women who sit on them shouting well meaning profanities at passers by. Carnival, Eid, St. Patricks Day, Jubilee and the World Cup were all celebrated by all residents ( except for those wanting taxis), and when it rains, which is often in Manchester, there is always the pub or the curry houses or the corner shop where I argue about politics with the boys who hang about in the back. Moss Side gets a bad press, and too many young lads die senselessly, but it is safe enough if you don't get involved in drugs.