This reminds me of an anecdote from the Carter Administration. Jimmy had just gotten back from a European grip and grin when he made an offhand reference to the GNC while talking to reporters.

They searched and they searched and could not find what GNC was an abbreviation for, so they asked his press secretary, who laughed heartily and said that Carter had been talking about a security problem involving the Aegean Sea.

Seriously, Faldage, a president who mispronounces a word as important as nuclear needs to be corrected. Those who hear it and abhor the mispronunciation tend to discount the other words in his message (if they even hear them at all.)

It's a disservice to the US of A and to the Presidency itself for his aides not to jump all over his skinny little butt to get him to say the word properly. I think they are allowing him to do it because they think it plays well with the good ol' boy image he stgrives so hard to maintain. Wither that or they are all pronouncing it nucular because the boss does. Which would mean Bill's right about not correcting the King.

And I don't think that happens. I just got finished reading Shadow, by Bob Woodward, and he reports dozens of instances where Presidents' aides take off the gloves and whale the hell out of each other (and the boss) but only in private. Now it may be that the climate of the current White House doesn't support that. After all, this is the first time in history where we've had an attorney general who wants to be referred to by the title "general".

TEd