Here’s another thread about the debasement of our education system, but from a slightly different perspective. As a student, home schooled from elementary through middle school, I was appalled by the ignorance that has amplified in the schools. I discovered myself to be a member of an extreme minority in what I would consider common knowledge. Upon reference to our Prime Minister, Jean Chretien (I am Canadian), my comment was met with ‘blank’ stares and inquiry as to whom I was referring. For you Americans, it would be the equivalent of discovering your coworkers had not the least idea who George W. Bush was. Also unknown to them was our Premier (your Senator) and local representatives. Another inexpectation was the questioning of a word’s meaning, which I would deem quite common place. This often happened after I spoke.

As to my view of teachers, I found a fair amount to be adequate educators, and few to be referred to as ‘above par’. An example would be a particular Science teacher emphasized solely the area of Science, excluding the necessary knowledge of spelling. When a minor test was given, he stated to those correcting (your test would be passed to another student for correction) that ‘if you could tell what it was, mark it right’. If I could tell what it was! Proper spelling of a word is vital in all subjects, not exclusively English. The teacher, though excellent in the field of Science, excluded other instruction essential to a student’s success.

Does anyone else have comments about this subject? I realize that it has been presented before, but I hold the opinion that significant issues as this can rarely be discussed and disputed excessively.