let me be the first to congratulate you!

i don't think we have ever had a guy turn a thread into an out right food thread before!

i too am reading a book about corn.. but it is The Story of Corn; The myths and history, the culture and agriculture, the art and science of America's quintessntial crop.

the arent't any proper recipes, just some generic ones so far.. it has some word origins for pone and other corn words, (Pone-- for the Algonquin appone.. and Samp from the Narragansett suppawn)

i call my corn bread pone, too.
1 cup yellow corn flour
1 cup wheat flour
(i like whole grain, stone ground for both)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup yogurt (plain)
3 to 4 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons honey (warm it in the same cup you melt the butter in or at the same time)
1 egg
(milk as needed)

preheat oven, 500º (High) lightly grease cast iron pan, and put in oven to preheat too.

mix together dry ingredients. then mix together wet..
Mix wet into dry, (add up to 1/4 cup of milk, if needed) to make stiff batter.

Do not over mix.

pour into preheated cast iron pan, reduce heat in oven to 350º, bake for 15 to 20 minutes till done.

I have a cast iron pan in the shape of ears of corn.. but a plain round frypan might take longer.

the yogurt/honey combo are acidic enough to both temper the corn and to work with the soda for a nice light result. the hot pan creates a crunchy crust. for a super rich corn bread, use sour cream instead of yogurt. (i think its to cake like then.)
serve warm.