SJM:

I pronounce it with a long e on the end. Been around well more than half a century and I never heard it with a long i sound.

But this thread reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask for some time now, with the question being directed more towards our friends in the UK.

A year or so ago I took Sasha to the library to stock up on reading material (Usually twenty books at a time now!) There was an English children's book which had pictures of things around the household. As I'm driving home Sasha is leafing through the book reading the captions. When she said "pot plant" I corrected her, "Nope, that's a potted plant."

She replied emphatically, "No, Daddy, it's a pot plant." When we stopped at a red light I looked at the book. Sure enough, there was a picture of a plant in a pot and the caption said "Pot plant." What is REALLY curious is that the plant looked suspiciously like cannabis plants I've umm seen in pictures. Yeah, that's it. Never seen one growing in a closet with a grow light on it, of course.

Question for UKrs: Is "pot plant" a term you would use for any plant with its roots in a pot or were the authors having us on?

TEd

TEd