re: The running, jumping and standing still film. This 9-minute film was made by Dick Lester in 1959 with help from Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers and the afore-mentioned Leo McKern. Our film society screens it every four or five years.

Watch out for Leo McKern's last film, Molokai: the story of Father Damien, directed by another Australian, Paul Cox. He plays the local bishop in it and, in an interview in today's Melbourne Age, Cox recalls: "At one stage, he had to be put on a big boat in Honolulu. He was a bit heavy, and had to be carried up on a forklift. All the while, he kept blessing everybody. Another day, I had an accident on the set. I was lying spread-eagled on the lawn, with a big hole in my head. When I came to, the bishop was standing beside me, giving me his blessing. He was always making jokes. At lunchtime on the set, he'd take off his bishop's robes and sit there in his shorts and white legs, and say, 'Don't look at my milk bottles!' One day we were in a restaurant in the Hilton in Honolulu, drinking chianti. Someone came up to us with one of the hotel's serviettes, asking for Leo's autograph. Leo looked at the napkin, then up at him and said, 'Hilton Honolulu. What an interesting name'. He then wrote, 'To Hilton, from Leo McKern'. … he loved to pretend to be chatting up the girls. The costume designer … loved him very much and went out of her way to look after him. Playfully, he'd say to her, 'My God, darling, if only I was two years younger'. In a final tribute, Cox reflects: "I feel very blessed by having worked with him. He was a humble giant. They don't make that kind any more."