Rriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggg!!!

(Now what? Good Grief! It's two in the morning. Damn Lafferty, I've got to get some sleep.)

Yes? ... I see, you just happened to be in the neighborhood and you wanted to stop by and say something nice about Lafferty. Well there's the damn computer, and don't let the door hit you in the butt when you go out. Good night!

On the book ARRIVE AT EASTERWINE

There is only one R. A. Lafferty -- luckily. It is doubtful that tired old Earth could stand more. But Lafferty was never the man to be content with being one of a kind. It is necessary for Lafferty, who is drunk on words at least nine-tenths of the time, to create other one-of-a-kinds. That way he has company. And since no mere mortal would even want to be cast in this role, it is really very logical that Lafferty should make a companion of a multi-personalitied machine. Really. It follows that ARRIVE AT EASTERWINE is a logical book. Other people call it "hilarious," "surrealistic," "a carnival," "Science Fiction?", "for large public and academic libraries," "delighting, bemusing and exasperating," "I'm not sure what it is," (there's always that percentage), "witty," "mind-tingling" and so on, ad infinitum. We bet we're the only ones who find it logical. You make up your own mind.
- the unknown visitor