Well, Helen, it's certainly the last word that:
soon, because of birth rate differences, the majority of norther ireland will be, once again, irish. it might not happen in my lifetime, but it is happening.

- but meanwhile we have the situation we have, and no matter where and when the fault lies, that's what has to be dealt with. It seems to me that the Israel/Palestine situation is analogous (note I don't say "the same"), in that the more there is talk about historical rights and wanting to return the country to exactly how it was at some point in the past, the further all parties move from the possibility of peace right now. It all turns into a body count, comparing wounds, feeling increasingly self-righteous in recalling the history, and it usually results in the body count being upped a bit more. So it goes - very sad and all too predictable. I get heartily sick of history sometimes, especially when used as justification by successive generations.

As such, I quite admire the line taken in this article:
http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/flashbks/ireland/kelle.htm
John V. Kelleher, is an Irish American (so can't be accused, I suspect, of Unionist tendencies), writing back in 1954. Interesting what has changed in almost 50 years and what has stayed the same ("the future is the same as the past" to cross-thread ). I especially admire Kelleher's willingness to discard history and attend to the (then as now) current situation. I suspect he would see recent developments as going in the right direction. And, going by this article, he would counsel a patient but persistent "gently does it" approach, and would make a notable effort to consider the perspective from the "other side" at such a delicate time.

A good man. We could do with many more like him around today.

i think this is one area, where i will never to able to agree with the english point of view
That depends upon what you see as "the English point of view", and whether you think all English people share the same point of view. To the extent that you would get a consensus, I reckon you'd find most English people don't really care about Northern Ireland. "Let it go". As many Unionists see it, they're being slowly but surely sold down the river and they are outraged by the lack of concern and the English ignorance of their situation. But (English) public opinion isn't in their favour and devolution (of varing degrees) is still flavour of the month in the UK.

As for me - I can live with agreeing to differ, Helen, and have got on just fine with practically every Irish person I've met. Even the two I met on a train, wearing Brazilian shirts after Brazil had beat England in the World Cup. Bastards. .