do we have any home brewers on the board?

Have done, Helen, and know many people who make their own wine and beer. Generally speaking it's pretty good stuff, not to mention stronger and cheaper than most of the commercial products. As you say, it's quite popular in the UK. Fairly high tax on booze probably accounts for that, although we've a long and proud tradition of DIY wherever possible - and also of heroically failing at DIY..

To be honest I'm unaware of the distinction between hot-weather and cold-weather yeasts. I know that brewers have their favourite strains of yeast, which they've kept going for - literally - centuries, and I know it's a good idea to get yeast from your favourite brewery, as it's such a fundamental ingredient. Well, yeast is the essence of the whole process, really.

Over here, "lager" has always meant continental (European) style beer, which first arrived here in the 70s. It's more pale than English beer (hereafter called "ale" and assumed to be cask-conditioned stuff rather than the 'orrible "keg beers" that used to be prevalent), amber coloured at the darkest. It's also always been mechanically chilled, whereas ale is cellar temperature, coolish but definitely not chilled. Lagers always have gas (nitrogen I think) added as they're piped up from the cellar, and thus a definite "head"; ale has a natural gental froth produced by the yeast.

You may just detect some bias here.
I think real ale is the best drink on the planet. I also happen to think that Harvey's, my locally brewed ale, is the best real ale ever - but all real ale afficiandos (sp?) love the local stuff best, as it's a living product and doesn't always travel well.

Actually there are some continental beers that are a cut above the rest, with no nasty chemical additives etc. The German "purity law" lagers such as Beck's, and (especially) the Czech Budwar (original Budweiser) spring to mind. You can drink loads of them without getting a hangover, which ain't bad really! You should always drink these bottled, never the draught versions.

DrinkonaBike

Hmmm. It used to be that all threads eventually turned into food threads; but recently (for some strange reason) they've started turning into drink threads. Curious. [innocence]