hiya dody -

I have to confess, I'm not much of a musician - but I do blow down one or other of my two didgeridoos when the spirit moves me....

Am interested in this comment of yours, though: maybe love of music and language are connected? I have discovered that writers are among the most active in other arts as well. From being in a writers' group, and in a writers' book group, and from dabbling, myself, in various other branches of the arts, I have discovered that those who are writers are, very often, also one or more of the following:

artists
photographers
dancers
actors
musicians
videographers or cinematographers
designers

and almost any other art you can think of. I don't know how much it runs the other way, from other arts into writing.

I re-read Margaret Kennedy's Lucy Carmichael recently, and in it she said something to the effect that music is the least educative of all the arts. That made a lot of sense to me: it is uplifting but doesn't necessarily make you think. It engages the emotions far more than the intellect. I can think of pieces of music I have found wonderfully compelling and enticing, beautiful or gritty or having some other serious hook that caught and held my attention; but I can't think of a single thing I've learned from music that has increased my understanding of the world and my place in it (though it sure has made the world, and my place in it, a more beautiful place to be!).

Just an observation, meant in no way to negate what music DOES give us....ahhhhh.....So I, too, am curious to see how many musicians there are on the board - bless 'em all, they have a talent I just don't possess, and wish I did. [envy-e]

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.