Are you "qualmlessly groovy" when you go XC skiing?

FishonaBike,
Good pick-up, the expression works well for my sport. Since I can't think of a witty rejoinder, I'll have to get semi-serious. The "grooviness" has largely gone out of XC skiing over the last decade or so, with the demise of the traditional Nordic "diagonal stride" in favour of a faster "skating" technique. Skating skis are shorter and thinner and rely totally on technique to prevent sliding back during the "kick" or push-off part of the stride, unlike traditional Nordic skis which have a "fish-scale" pattern (thought you'd like that one) or sticky wax on the base.

Having said all that, the above applies primarily to XC ski racing, which I'm not into. I'm more of a back-country skier, on metal-edged skis, with heavier boots, at my qualmlessest on untracked slopes far from the madding crowd.

But this isn't a snowsports bulletin board, so I'd better give it some relevance by throwing in a few XC-skiing-related words. We langlaufers tend to be derided by downhill ("alpine") skiers, who call us "skinny skiers" or "chook-walkers". We in turn call them "yo-yo skiers". We all deride the snowboarders, although I can't for the moment think of a common insulting term, other than the generic "hoon".

Cheers,
ChookOn(Skinny)Skis