The only thing I know as a cruller is a light, glazed, donut-like object shaped like a tractor tire. This sounds somewhat like your French cruller, helen - is that a good description of the shape? (I always called them tractor tires when I was little because I couldn't for the life of me remember the name. We used to have this weekly family pilgrimage to Tim Hortons* after church, and my Dad liked the crullers.)

OK, here's a word-related question: my husband's favourite donut (and I mean favourite - last week they appeared to be out and he sent the little worker-fellow searching for more "in the back") is a Boston cream. It's got custard injected, instead of jam (yuck! I hate them!), and chocolate icing on top. To all: do you guys know this kind of donut? Is it called a Boston cream? Do people in Boston eat it, or did they invent it? Or is it just a misleading name, like French fries?

*Canadian donut/doughnut chain, usually just referred to as Tim's, named after an NHL player, has the best coffee and we can't figure out why the taste is so different from other places, everyone east of Manitoba walks around in the mornings with a Tim's cup in hand