Marilyn French, wrote a book, Beyond Power.
in the book she make the point that one can have power to, or power over.

I have personal power, (that is i control myself) I have the power to do things.. Including influence you by my behavior, logic, acts, writings, various means.

Personal Power, power to is a good thing.

Power over is different. as parent, i had power over my childern. i could and did decide their bed times, their schools, their clothing. by choices i made, i had some power of their choice of friends. as my children got older and more mature, they slowly build up personal power. as adults, i now have very little power over my children. and i rarely use the power i do have.

but there are many situation of people either having power over, or attempting to have power over, that are problems.

Our government, is of the people, for the people and by the people. it has some power over me, but largely only the power i chose to give it. If it abuses the power, i can try to vote them out of office.

all governments take power from the citizens. in some cases, the citizens have right about what, and how much power can be taken, in other cases, the power is wrenched away, and the governments power over its people is total.
the same can happen on a personal scale.

i own slaves, i have power over them, not just when they are minors, but forever. Power over... can be a problem.

the book is long, and sometimes seems to belabor points, but one problems is, neither power to, or power over are good or bad in them selves. it is how the power is used.

a large part of right or wrong is who's power is making it right or wrong? a child with personal power, might bonk another child on the head with a toy -- if the toy is a teddy bear, is one problem. if the toy is metal truck, it is another.

in this case, a parents power over the child, is more important than the childs power.

when that child grows up, it is the governments power over that is use when the truck is replaced with a brick..

Right and wrong in a social situations, is a functions of power.