I don't know about a gender-neutral term for "gentlemen's game" so I'm responding to Robert's post about the neutering of the language.

I despise it.

Perhaps it does fit in well with the PC discussion going on in another thread.....I have to say I blithely use whatever gender seems most appropriate at the time! For example, if I have a passenger in my car (a relatively rare event), I like to open the door for him/her first, before I open my own; so I always say, "I'm such a gentleman," just in case they hadn't noticed how gentlemanly my behaviour was....! Then again, I'm the lass who appreciates it when a man opens a door for her, or walks on the outside of the sidewalk when walking with her. That kind o' thing. Well - it comes down to nice manners, don't it? Manners maketh man.

I once wrote a humorous piece for the local paper about gender-neutral language and how it was emasculating English. I had a fine ol' time with it, doing things like suggesting that we had better have two kinds of thick dark table syrup, moladdies as well as molasses, in case any Scots were offended....It was a little insane (as you may have guessed from the example I gave!) but I think people enjoyed it!

In church, where I hadn't been for years but recently started going sporadically again, I find myself out of step with the times: I always want to stick the word "man" into the liturgy where I learned it and where it used to be, and usually wind up saying it all by myself!

eg: Who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from Heaven

Whoops. But one of the elderly ladies my mother and I sit with says she likes to say "man" where it used to be, too, so I'm not really alone.