In the US, there is a hiking trail, the Appalachian trail. it starts in Georgia, with the first promiment appearence of green mineral, called serpentine, (but the Appalachians themselves extend to Arkanasas) and end in Maine, (but the mountains, and the serpentine, continue) all the way up to New Brunswick, and these mountains are geologically the same that run through Ireland, Cornwall, Wales and Scotland. they have the same stata's, and the serpentine.

every where in this ancient, eroded chain of mountains, the local names change.. i know many of the local names, but certainly not all of them. -- but what is interesting, is this chain connects many here on this board.. so, if you now, or have every lived in, or near this chain of mountains, what are your names for them? I will give two NY names, ( i am sure there are others who can give other NY names, Whit, i know two NJ names.. but i think you know them) what are the called near you, Wow, and Mav, WW, Jackie, Biker mom, Jo and everyone else?

In NY, at different points, the mountains are called Catskills, some of the lower more eroded parts are called the Ramapos.

in my reading about the appalachians, i came across two predominant ways of saying Appalachia.
NY-- Appa-lay-chia
Non NY Appa -latch-a
are there others?