the problem with LA

I lived in Santa Ana, in Orange county, in the southern edges of the greater LA megalopolis for a year in the late '70s. The only things I liked were driving on the freeways and a radio station, KPFK, that came the closest I have ever heard to meeting my musical needs and plenty else besides. The one thing that most people who like living there boast about is the weather which I found to be, at best, boring. When I moved out here to where one can appreciate Spring I spent a weekend in May back visiting family in Chicago and was greeted with freezing rain. It was so refreshing after the unmitigated nice weather in SoCal. Later, here, I was talking with someone about what a beautiful day it was (low 60s [mid to upper teens for y'all not stuck in the stone age of measurements] and sunny). I chanced to mention that I had just come from southern California and back there everyone would have just passed it of as another perfect day in paradise. Later I realized that I was wrong. They would all have been complaining about how cold it was.