I had an ancestor who was called a "brazier", but actually made small cannons. When he sold them to the British, instead of to the Patriots, the Patriots destoyed his shop, and he had to flee to Halifax. When I was young "Go to Halifax!" was a euphemism for "Go to Hell". Incidentally, he gave his daughter when she married, a place in Pembroke, MA where his son-in-law ran a forge for turning bog ore into iron for his father-in-law. Bog ore comes from rain leaching iron out of land around a shallow pond, and precipitating. I read that a man could get a ton of the ore out of the pond a day, but what a job it must have been to get it to the nearest forge, which had to have enough water power to operate the bellows necessary to make the charcoal burn hot enough to reduce and melt the iron. I don't know occuational name for guy who made the charcoal. He had to dig an enourmous pit,fill it with wood, and cover it with sod, leving only a chimney. And he too had a long trip to the forge, though the charcoal would have been far lighter than the bog ore.