Now just a minute here. I happen to have gone to school through a good portion of these "insidious" advertizements and I can assure you that Coke machines and ads in football stadiums have very little, in any, effect on students. Sure, soft drinks aren't the most healthy of choices, but considering that most students drink it anyway, it's not doing any more harm. The only disruption caused by a student going to a Coke machine between classes and bringing the drink into class is an up-tight teacher complaining that it's against the rules and making the student get up and throw it away. Otherwise, there's no problem. If anything, it might make an unmotivated student more alert during a boring lecture.

Billboards in stadiums are generally ignored. There's aimed at the spectators, not the players, and the fans are usually more focused on the game than the advertizements lining the sidelines.

I also watched Channel One through middle school and in social studies classes in high school. Yes, the ads are a little annoying, but they're no different than normal commercials and they're never harmful products. If I remember right, most of them were either skin care products or anti-smoking ads. And Channel One provides free TVs in every classroom to schools who use the program. Aside from the show often being the only current events most students get, the TVs were also, at least in my experience, used quite frequently for videos related to the class.

Certainly I don't think that products should be shoved directly in a person's face, but most ads are just background noise anymore. When someone talks about the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl or Qualcomm Stadium, it doesn't make someone want to rush out and buy some Tostitos corn chips or a Qualcomm cell phone.