Thanks Maverick, your equivocations helped not a lot. Everyone knows that the submissions reflected the root origins of rotation and roots. But you, you only obfuscated, perhaps in hope that your submission would win.
Well let someone with a good heart review the definitions.

I will review in reverse order the submissions of the submitters.

Wordwind - C -certain mosses lying above the normal waterline on the beaches of the islands of the Outer Hebrides Come on WW, free your unpoetic soul, you too can be like we.

Whitman O'Neill - G -woven mosses, rushes, and shrubs that forms across the surface of shallow pools and may shimmy or shake when walked upon. ( Come-on Whitty, "shimmy or shake"?) Gee Whiz.

Falliblefiend - L - mercenary troops. Way to go Falli, you scooped Maverick.

Maverick -B - Oh boy this is a no brainer . A wheel in railroad watches Mechanical Logic. And nostalgic romance.

Josie Whales - M- Josie is relatively new to the board so she/he timidly submits Breadmould. Uh, Thank you Josie.

Jazzoctopus - K - As Jazzo said he is studing and fooling around and doesn't have time for a long answer.
An alchemist

Flatlander - E - is straight-forward by nature...A rotating stage or platform

dxb - J - Mmmmm this was tough, but dxb seemed just the guy to care about...spiral bacterium found in the digestive tract of cows

Consuelo - i - at last an easy one, knowing her penchant for pottery...art forms found in Egyptian civilisations

Bingly - F - a whirlpool occurring at the confluence of two rivers Admit it, so serene, so Bingly.

belMarduk - A - Remember the World's Fair that was held in Canada? Well bel remembers beyond, and beyond that..."Merry-Go-Round" was popularized at the first world's fair.

Well now, it is time to vote. Only two definitions remain, mine and the Hogmasters. Last time I offered a complex answer, this time I'll leave it to you wonderful people to decide.
Peace.