How interesting that the custom of the annual company picnic goes back that far.
Yes, one of the things I have to try and make myself remember is that long-ago people were, well, people.
A kind boss might certainly have wanted to reward his workers with a "bonus". We always read about the cruelty that was common then, but surely not EVERYone was. Perhaps it makes more interesting reading; I don't know. I know there was a lot of bartering, but doesn't it make sense that this would have included "favors", as well as goods, the way we do today? I'll bet he realized that he would get better quality work out of happy employees. And how different that had to have been from corporate picnics today, where the company is so large that 99% of the attendees have no idea who planned the affair (it was probably given to the clerical staff to manage!). Back then, all the guests would have been very grateful for their boss' generosity. Often today, there is no one to thank. Even the bosses think of it as just something else that must be seen to, preferably by someone else in the corporate structure. (Go ahead, somebody, prove me wrong--please.)