"May" and "Might" are, for all intents and purposes, used the same way in the present tense. "I may go to the movies" and "I might go to the movies" are pretty much interchangeable, and mean essentially the same thing, that there is some probability that some event will occur. "Might" seems to be used when the probability is lower that the event will actually occur, but that's not a hard and fast rule.

The problem with "May" and Might" starts when you see consider "might" as the past tense of "may", where "may" is being used as an auxiliary verb. You would say

"I might have arrived at work on time if I hadn't got caught in a traffic jam", referring to a past event.

But you would also say "I may arrive at work on time if I leave home early enough".

Still, people would use "might" in the context of the last sentence and be perfectly understood. It's just not correct usage.

It's confusing, but even people who speak English as their first language, including me, screw up using "may" and "might" on a regular basis.

HTH

The idiot also known as Capfka ...