Thanks, Helen, for all that info.--esp. that part about it showing you not there after ten minutes. 'Cause sometimes I do walk away from the computer without closing AWAD--once I went out to dinner, leaving it open--and I was really wondering if people might be thinking I was actually here for 4 or 5 hours straight!
============================================================

The keys are suddenly functional again.
Ain't it the truth, Rapunzel? These machines do seem to take fits, of whether they're going to work or not. I almost never do special characters (é is an exception) any more, because suddenly, some of the numbers on my keypad simply send me back a screen (or two), as though I've hit the Back arrow. I can't figure it. By the way, for other computer neophytes, if ever you have gone back to the middle of some previous typing to do a correction, and whenever you do your retyping, and subsequent letters disappear, that means you have hit the Insert key as well as, or in place of, Backspace. Press it again, and you can correct normally. That had me literally screaming, until I called the computer store nearly in tears, and the guy told me!