Good heavens, what a lot I learn from this board! It never occurred to me to think that a person from NSW would be called a NS Welshman. Is that what you-all call the females, too? And you call folks south of YOUR border Mexicans?? How funny! Also I have never heard of Jappie (or Yappie)--I have the feeling I ought to know where it came from, but I don't. Kaffir kind of rings a bell. I'll try to remember not to use it, although it's pretty unlikely that I'm going to run into anyone from SA. And sandgroper? Cane toad? Very strange...

I suppose I ought to add hillbillies (singular hillbilly), the derogatory name for folk who lived in the Appalachian Mountains. There is still too much ignorance and poverty there, but the typical stereotype has gone. It's a hard place to live. Rural, but very limited arable land: either narrow strips along the valley ("hollers"--hollows)
floors, or terrace out a plot along the mountainside. Very hard work. It's not an easy place to get around in, either; snows or floods, etc., can close down the one bridge or roadway into/out of an area; if that happens, kids have no alternate route to get to school. A real shame, that. I remember what Catherine Marshall wrote in her book about her time there, "Christy", which I believe is essentially a true story: that a resident told her that in some places, the land was so steep you could stand up and bite the ground.