Hi Bel -

haven't been on in awhile, sorry! but think Captain Kiwi put it better than I could have.....

My understanding, from the talks I attended, was that "jihad" just means "struggle" and must never be mistranslated as "holy war" - Muslims don't believe in any such thing. They do believe in war, but only under certain circumstances and only when conducted according to certain principles. The attacks on the World Trade Centre towers DID NOT fall into the realm of acceptable war actions, for example.

It's interesting that the Taliban think they are the "pure" Muslims and that all Muslims in the world should be like them....The Muslim who gave the talks I attended was adamant that the Taliban is WRONG - an extremist group. I think I'm remembering correctly if I say that he rejected the notion of fundamentalism in Islam (someone must've suggested it with regard to the Taliban). According to him, the Taliban is an example of a COUNTRY'S culture messing with the true message of Islam - something that happens a lot. Another example would be some Middle Eastern countries (his examples were Jordan, Egypt and Syria, I think? could be misremembering, should've taken notes!), in which the Muslims drink - something that is a no-no in the Qu'ran. And he said that what Muslims in Kingston (where I am) hoped for, was to lose the cultural implications from their home countries and focus on the true meaning of Islam. Another interesting note regarding the Taliban and the practice of Islam: this speaker told us that women are much respected in the Qu'ran and are definitely seen as independent human beings, with control over their own money/possessions/destiny. Education is seen as important for both sexes. I've heard that about Judaism, too. Wonder why Christianity doesn't stress the importance of education? Something I find sort of disappointing about my religious background.....

I've also heard of a Muslim, living in North America, saying he found it much easier to be a Muslim in a non-Muslim country....