But if it's not wrong, why does it provoke such strong reactions? If you were taught that you look good in a red sweater and you suddenly start seeing people wearing blue sweaters (assuming you're not a Blood) I hope you don't get all freaky. What is it about words that sets y'all off?

I suspect that you've come remarkably close to identifying it within what you've stated here, Faldage.

Language - in terms of being both spoken and heard - is like a comfortable pair of shoes. When you are wearing your most comfortable jogging / walking shoes there are no screams of pain, or complaint about what you can and cannot do in those shoes. However, go out and buy a new pair of stilettos, put them on and try them out for a while and speaking from experience there will be pain, blisters, sore muscles and a lot of complaints. You might adjust to the stilettos after a while, but may never quite be as comfortable in them as you were in your other shoes.

Does this explain why some people can't cope with variances in language? It's just a theory, but generally speaking I find, people don't cope well with change, and when they are faced with it, take time to adjust. Some people can ignore the variances. Why? Maybe their rules weren't as rigid when they were learning, maybe they were taught to look for meaning rather than "correct" usage.

OK, there's my theory. And if the stiletto fits... wear it with pride!

Hev