Giving something the "go by" is covered in tsuwm's purple prose above. It means to pass something by, to leave it behind, as in "I failed the exam in AWADeering this term; I'll take something else next term and give AWAD the go by". This usage is really not all that uncommon - I've seen it in a number of books, and I don't typically read books which were written in 1642 or whatever date the OED gives. 1642, incidentally, was the year in which Abel Tasman gave New Zealand the once-over before giving it the go by.

As a general rule if Dubya has used a phrase he's got it wrong, except by sheer accident. If you want an example, try the semantic variations he's added to the meaning of the words "peace" and "war". Tolstoy should have been so innovative.

"Make so bold" is a real anachronism though. It was in fairly common use up until the middle of the Victorian period and remained in use in formal English up until about the turn of the 19th century. You would typically see it used in an expression such as "May I make so bold as to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage?", thus adding yet another anachronism to another anachronism and so on ad infinitum.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...