Once, when my son was in kindergarten, during a special presentation in the auditorium, the children got loud and boisterous.

the teacher, Mrs. Kelly, called for the to be quiet.
the noise continued, unabated.. twice more, she called for quiet.

Then she clapped her hands, sharply-- and made a loud cracking noise..all eyes now turn and looked to Mrs.Kelly. she looked sternly at the assembled childen, and now, commanding their attention, sternly advised the to settle down, and stop talking!

Later in the day, i met a mother of another student. She was up set, because her daughter had reported to her, that Mrs Kelly had yelled at her in the auditorium. she asked me if i had seen it, since her daughter said Mrs Kelly did it infront of everyone.

I explained what i had seen, and added, both my son and her daughter were among the children who were talking and misbehaving.

She thought for moment, and commented-- Ah, Jodie thought she was personally being repremanded, because she was one of the misbehaving children. Jodie took the general admonishment personally. she was no longer upset with Mrs. Kelly.

This collection of gentle words was just that.. until some people started to take it personally.. now it is on its way to being an other ugly mess. please stop.