Isn't there an Irish game (called "hurley", I think) which has elements of almost all other ball sports, plus total war, in it? Rubrick?

Yep. It's called Hurling and the stick that it's played with is called a hurley so you were almost right. Hurling goes back millenia and was played by the high kings' clans as a martial art which evolved into a sport. The most famous tale told about the sport is the story of cúchulain who, as the young Setanta, slew two wild hounds with his hurley.

Modern day hurling is played between two teams of fifteen and it is reputed to be the world's fastest team sport. To tie in with yesterday's word of the day the best hurling team in Ireland is Kilkenny (it's played between counties) otherwise known as the Kilkenny cats.

I wouldn't know about it having elements of all sports, CapK. It uses a ball roughly the size of a baseball but the stick (hurley) is a unique shape. It is in no way like hockey as the ball is played in the air and NOT on the ground. The field is the same size as a soccer (football) pitch and you can score a goal just like in soccer but you can also score a point just like in rugby/American football by firing over the crossbar. The layout of the field is also unique and, apart from penalties and frees, there are no other similarities with other sports. I've seen a few games and the energy of the sport makes it a frenetic watch but I'd hardly be called an addict. Give me cricket and six nations rugby any day. We seem to be doing quite well in that at the moment, thanks to Wales being completely crap (Sorry, Mav).

Bring on the All-Blacks!!!!!