Are these two languages connected? There seems to be an auditory similarity at least.

Spot on Jackie!! Welsh is, in a way, connected with Norse language but so much as Northern England English dialect and even Scots and Irish dialect. Don't forget that parts of Scotland were Norse/Danish until the era of Robert the Bruce (early 1300's). Ireland was invaded by the vikings and Norse and Dublin and parts of the East still retain Norse influences. Look at the names of counties Wexford and Waterford!!!

Parts of Northumberland and Cumbria in England still use a lot of Norse dialect and Danes and Norwegians find their English easier to understand than those further South.

There was an excellent Norwegian film out a few years ago called Insomnia which I saw with a friend of mine from Dublin who speaks no foreign languages. Despite the subtitles he commented to me afterwards that he was able to understand almost every spoken word. A different language but, phonetically, almost identical. Danish, on the other hand, is completely unique and impossible to speak let alone understand.

Welsh and Norwegian do have different sources but their influences have been shared to a large degree. Modern pronunciation and accents do differ somewhat, however. The most significant auditory difference between the two is the phlegmatic rounding of the letters 'c' and 'cl' in Welsh. The Norwegian language is more melodic and not quite as gutteral.