The stumps are the three uprights. The two cross pieces are the bails. The whole is the wicket. This does not preclude the term wicket from being used with other meanings.

And just to further confuse the matter, the length of ground between the wickets is also called the wicket. Got it??

A Sticky wicket, as has been quite well described already, is caused by moisture in the dried, rolled ground of the wicket which accumulates overnight or through rain or mist. The ground then warps slightly in any heat producing unpredictable bowling results and great difficulties for the batsman. The conditions suit the medium to fast bowlers but can hinder spin bowlers more than they do the batsmen so I prefer to play on hot, dry days (when I take most of my wickets).

It is a little documented but true fact that, in Victorian times, the team which was bowling the following day would visit the wicket at the dead of night and urinate on the crease (batting patch) to create the sticky wicket effect.

Read George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman's Lady for a hilarious example of this unsporting behaviour!!