Either you're much older than you let on, Ted, or said automobile was well past its prime upon your acquiring it.

No, no, Geoff - the MG-YT was produced, in small numbers, between 1949 (I think - might have been '50 before the tourer came out - but the saloon version was definitely late '40s) until about 1953. There were only about 800 produced altogether - I have exact figures at home, but not here at work. Most went to America, but quite a few went to Oz and Zild.
It was designed in 1939, but the World War got in the way of production. The MG-Y series was brought out as a stop-gap until they could produce something a bit more modern - which was the MG-Z saloon, a very curvy looking beast with a far-too-small engine for its body weight.

But the Y series were beautiful cars, and I can totally understand and empathise with TEd's tears when it broke down so terminally. (actually, spares and repairs were not too expensive over here and the XPAG 1249cc engine was very easy to work on - but that was possibly not the case in US of A.)
[/motor buff long bore]