Most people who are interested in words are also interested in books ... I assume. So I will share this little story with you. Recently, I was visiting a Library when a hardcover book standing on display on a counter fell to the floor. All by itself. "I didn't do it", I professed, as a librarian turned to survey the fallen tome. "Its our poltergeist", she laughed, as she swept in with compassionate efficiency to restore the book to the counter. "Its the cheap bindings they are using nowadays", she added. "What's that all about?", I asked. "Even when they use thread, they don't bind the thread to the cloth properly", she explained. "So the book rests on its pages, not on the spine. Usually they just use glue. After a year or so, the glue gives way and its a mess." She returned to her desk, evidently resigned to the defoliation of our finest literature. So, what's up here, AWADians? Who will stand up for these spineless tomes? How many biblioclasms must we suffer before we rise up and demand a spine for a spine? A binding for a binding? Publishers may think they know better, but a book should be built to be read, even in these attention-deficit disordered times, not simply exhibited wedged between other unread books or lying on its backside on a coffee table.