wwh wrote : In 1938 we didn't even know it was a hurricane until after it was over.
---------------------------------------------------------
True! I was nine years old and had about 10 days of no school before the electricity was restored. Mother cooked on a coal fired old black stove that she had providentially insisted be connected in the cellar "in case of emergency!" A very forward looking woman, my Mother. The furnace was coal fired so we had heat.
In the '70s storm I was a reporter in our Seacoast town when I got outside I sunk up to my hips in the snow ... really. Got to work courtesy of a friendly snow plow operator. Only three came into the office. Two were "children" of newspaper families. The third one eventually became a managing Editor. He had grasped the main fact of newspaper life : when things are at their worst is when we were most needed at work.
I could go on for three pages about the ensuing week, including anecdotes about how the Fire Department "lost" a pumper because of flooding by tides and snow, while trying to evacuate people living next to the marsh! But enough! More than you wanted to know.