>we had discussions, very amateurish, at great length, in total ignorance of something that had a couple years previously been explained expertly and thoroughly by Mr. Quinion.

To which I am still moved to reply, so what? I respect your right to view things differently, but I just cannot see what the big deal is that a discussion on this Board covered a topic already discussed elsewhere. What harm was done by this? You set the bar dangerously high by suggesting that we may never discuss things that others already have. I understood that the purpose of this Board was to provide a place for entertaining, informative discussions about words. If that understanding is correct, I couldn't care less if somebody somewhere has already discussed a topic that comes up here. I have read posts from you in which you have strongly condemned the use of the phrase "YART", which has something to do with "rehashed threads", I think. If you don't like people complaining about rehashed threads on this board why complain about a topic here being rehashed from another board?