You must have read both Bible and Iliad more extensively than I did.
Must admit that I merely googled. Haven't yet looked for a searchable Code of Hammurabi!

Border Collie "giving eye" to a sheep is very obviously no friend of the sheep.
On the contrary. The border collie, using "eye", works the sheep by threatening just enough to make them shy away in the desired direction, but not enough to stampede them. It's a very fine line, I understand. I've admittedly never watched a sheepdog trial (must remedy that), but I've seen it in action when the dog herded by kids, when they were small.

I believe this "eye" technique is unique to border collies. Other herding breeds do their work, for example, by running at the sheep or cattle or by nipping at their heels.

BTW, border collies are being used to frighten migratory geese away from golf courses. It's been found the only effective way to control serious problems, at some cousess, of (how to put this delicately?) grossly excessive goose-droppings.

And I have read that in the UK where they originated, they are routinely destroyed at about age five or six, because they sneak out at night and kill somebody else's sheep.
[Flirt] A foul canard! Your sources, sir? [/Flirt]
[keiva] Down, girl! dr. bill's one of the good guys! [/keiva]