Jazzo, anything is possible given enough time. the east coast mountains, the Appalachians, now eroded, and derided as meer hills, used to be as high as the himalayas! almost everything south of the hills of arkansas is mississippi delta-- about 1000 miles! (the result of the erosion of the same mountains into hills! )

some of the rocks found in Marin county, north of Frisco, are from area near LA. I like geology, i have trouble comprehending the vast number of years, (eons!) it has taken to create, say the 1000 mile mississippi delta, but a good geological map, gives lots of information.
I'll look for a link on Monday and send it to you as PM-- the US geological service has some great ones. I don't know of any really great world ones, but each country has good ones of there own-- maybe stales can get one of down under.. and so on..
and for further information, i would recommend The Map that Changed the World, by simon winchester, the author of The Professor and the Madman. a short history of the first geological map, and other information about the beginnings of the science of geology.

PS. you should know some geology-NYC's skyline is shaped by the underling geology of manhattan island... in NY case,geology is destiny! after all the Bronx is gneiss, Manhattan is schist*, and NY is not with out its faults!
*bronx natives have at tendency to mispronounce this word rudely.