My apologies for continueing this food thread. To Faldage and any other doubters. My wife being of Swiss descent we use our fondue pot quite often, have our own favourite recipe (including Gruyere, Emental, Vacherin, dry white wine, garlic, kirsch, and cornflour. I have never felt the need for nutmeg in it). Of course you can use the pot for the other fondues (Chinese, Bourgignon, chocolate). We often have raclette, though using small slices rather than the far more dramatic machine which melts the top slice off the whole round. My wife makes an excellent cheese tart as well.
This morning we received the photos of our latest holiday at the chalet and have them on CD, so I can send any one who is interested photos of: a fondue on the balcony, traditional cheese making, and Gruyere village and castle which is a favourite trip of ours. PM me with your real e-mail if really want to see.

Now the word payoff: My dictionary defines fondue as a dish of melted cheese, from French, related to fuse=melt with intense heat. So why are Chinese (or Mongolian) fondue (mushroom bouillon to cook wafer thin slices of meat) and Fondue Bourgignon (boiling oil for meat cubes) also known as fondue? Because the (cheese) fondue pot or heating mechanism got reused or what?